I agree with OtherBill.

Cleanups are not always the answer. When they are run, many things
associated with that pool could be torn down already because their cleanups
have already run.

If you need a known state to perform *operations* (as it sounds like Jon is
doing), then you can't use a cleanup.

Hooks are orderable, but more importantly: they run at a specified time. In
this case, before the pool is cleaned up.

Lingering close should not be part of the connection pool cleanup. It is a
specific action that needs to occur *before* we are done with the connection
pool. That is why Bill's suggestion of running it as a hook is great. It
also gives people a chance to perform actions relative to that close and
before pool cleanup occurs.

Cheers,
-g

--