More info:

I just installed the official 2.0.28 msi installer, and (of course) put it
into a different directory from the one into which I installed the 2.0.28
binary I built myself.  The httpd.conf configuration is identical except for
Listen (7171 vs. 7070), the server name, and the directory locations.  The
service is configured (by default) to logon as the LocalSystem account, and
the install directory has the usual "full control for everyone" permissions
as inherited from the root directory, all of which is exactly the way I had
the locally-built version configured, at least initially.

Although the installer did *not* install the service, I did so using -k
install, then I fired up ApacheMonitor and started up the service from
there.

IT WORKS.

So now my question is: what is the difference between the binaries I built
and the binaries ASF built, and why?  What exactly is causing the
service-based configuration to fail in my build, but not in the ASF build?
Since at least one other person has the same problem, there must be
something there.  I can't reply on the ASF-supplied binary, because I'm
developing something that will require a custom-built binary.

FYI, I did my local build using VC 6.0, using the InstallBin target in the
IDE, using all the project files as they came from the zip archive.