Igor Sysoev wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Zvi Har'El wrote:

> In my mod_deflate module (for Apache 1.3.x) I'd enabled by default
> "text/html" only. You can add or remove another type with DeflateTypes
> directive. Here are some recomendations:
>
> application/x-javascript   NN4 does not understand it compressed.
> text/css                   the same.
>
> text/plain   Macromedia FlashPlayer 4.x-5.x does not understand it
>              compressed when get it with loadVariables() function via browser.
> text/xml     Macromedia FlashPlayer 5.x does not understand it
>              compressed when get it with XML.load() function via browser.
>
> application/x-shockwave-flash   FlashPlayer plugin for NN4 for Windows
>              does not understand it compressed. Although plugin for Linux
>              NN4 work correctly.
>
> text/rtf                       MSIE 4.x-6.x understand correctly them
> application/msword             when compressed. NN and Opera does not.
> application/vnd.ms-excel
> application/vnd.ms-powerpoint

I want to add that these issues (what to compress and what to leave as-
is), were discussed very deeply and heavilly in the mod_gzip list.

If we don't adopt mod_gzip but develop our own mod_deflate (both are
good, by the way), we should at least use the long experience that
mod_gzip has had.

After being used in so many installations, and even being included in
leading Linux distros, there is almost no combination of format/browser
that has not been tested yet.

Your research, Igor, is very helpful (and Zvi's as well), but we can
base more default definitions on the defaults (or conclusions) of
mod_gzip.

The list of default definitions may become quite long, but putting it
inside an IfModule section, which separates it from the other parts of
httpd.conf, may help. I believe that the improvement in bandwidth,
deserves the price in size of httpd.conf.

Just my 2C...

--
Eli Marmor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]