On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Ian Holsman wrote:

> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> >>Yes.  But browsers change (evolve to better things we hope), so config has
> >>my preference.  Hardcoding in default rules is badness IMHO.  But maybe that's
> >>just me.
> >>

> > -1 if these restrictions are hardcoded in the module like it was
> > before Sander's patch.  These problems should be handled by the
> > configuration of mod_deflate not by hardcoding rules.
>
> this is BULLSHIT justin.
> you can't veto a change to make it behave like the old (more
> conservative) behavior.
> GZIP encoding it VERY badly broken in all of the common browsers
> and saying 'well fix the browsers' isn't going to cut it. for a couple
> of reasons
> 1. apache 2 has 0% market share
> 2. browsers arent going to get fixed just because we want them to
> 3. people are still using netscape 3.x out there, people will be using
>     these broken browsers for a VERY long time.

The main problem is not old browsers.
They do not send "Accept-Encoding: gzip" header so
they do not receive compressed content.
I know two browsers that send "Accept-Encoding" and
can incorrectly handle compressed response - MSIE 4.x
and Mozilla 0.9.1.

The main problem is proxies, especially Squid (~70% of all proxies)
Proxies can store compressed response and return it to browser
that does not understand gzipped content.

So you should by default disable encoding for requests
with "Via" header and HTTP/1.0 requests (HTTP/1.1-compatible
proxy must set "Via" header, HTTP/1.0-compatible should but not have).

Igor Sysoev