Aaron Bannert wrote:

>I really don't like this. It adds unnecessary complexity to the configure
>script,

There's nothing unnecessary about it.

> misleads admins in to thinking that they have to rerun configure
>to set the file limit,

No, nowhwere do we say "you have to rerun configure to set
the file limit."

> and does something that should just be set by
>the admin themselves at starttime.

The need for a higher fd limit isn't due to any configuration
choice made by the admins, but rather due to a design decision
of the developers (using an architecture that requires hundreds
of descriptors per process, but not doing the setrlimit in the
process itself because it complicates the testing of the
out-of-descriptors error handling, as Jeff noted).  It's
unreasonable to make the every admin responsible for hacking
their start scripts to work around our broken product.

--Brian