Aaron Bannert wrote:

>On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 09:09:46PM -0700, Brian Pane wrote:
>

>>It's
>>unreasonable to make the every admin responsible for hacking
>>their start scripts to work around our broken product.
>>

>In what way is our product broken?

Well, threaded MPMs or large vhost configurations won't run as
shipped.  And the httpd doesn't increase its own fd limit like
competing servers do (or like 1.3 does, for that matter).  And
until this fix, the httpd wasn't operating in accordance with its
own documentation, which claimed that the server would increase
its own file descriptor limit as needed (second paragraph
of http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/fd-limits.html )

>In order to use our product in certain ways your system may have
>to be configured to allow our product to use more file descrioptors.
>
>Now you have made it so that the apachectl script overrides my
>environment limits, this is badness.

What's your use case for setting lower environmental limits?

--Brian