On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 03:34:51PM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> Please vote:
>
> [ ] Check in aaa rewrite to 2.0.
> [X] Check in aaa rewrite to 2.1.
>
> Please realize that I don't think it's possible to maintain
> backwards compatibility due to the relevant Authoritative directives.
> So, a vote for 2.0 means it is okay to break backwards compatibility.

I'm not so concerned about breaking backward compatibility, since
eventually everyone who wants to use the latest features will have
to change their config to match. The biggest problem with working
on this in the current HEAD of the httpd-2.0 repository is _we don't
know how long it will take to stabilize_. This could very well mean
that we aren't able to make another release until the auth changes
are fully functional. This is not something I'm willing to gamble
on, especially since I'd like to see more frequent releases rather
than less frequent, and I *hate* holding up releases for "just this
one thing".

If we don't want to branch a full-on 2.1 tree, I would strongly suggest
that we at least branch a "new auth" tree so this unstable work doesn't
disrupt the rest of the tree.

my 2c,
-aaron