So what about for 2.0.45 dev ?

My prediction about interest in such a switch was independent of
timeframe.  I doubt that such a switch will ever happen.
2.0.44 won't be the last 2.0 release isn't it ?

What do you means ?

- Put zlib full source tree in Apache 2.0 tree and make
  a static build ?

not all of zlib is necessary...  and if we build zlib as a
library (instead of pulling specific objects into mod_deflate.so) we
have portability problems to deal with...
We could grab the compression part, like does mod_gzip, mod_gzip even use zlib includes.

- Put part of zlib code in Apache 2.0 source ?

that is what I suspect to be the safest, easiest-to-understand way...
the build would work like on Windows, where the project file for
mod_deflate pulls in the right parts when building mod_deflate.so
Ok

another nice feature of this is that if we know we are using our build
of the zlib source then we can turn on the zlib compile option to
namespace-protect the zlib routines and then change mod_deflate to
assume that (but perhaps the compile switch will make mod_deflate use
the namespace-protected versions automatically anyway)...  OtherBill
mentioned this namespace protection before but I haven't had a chance
to play with it
Or what about adding zlib compression in APR project, which is more system related and use it ? The APR 0.9 branch is still open ?

I already saw a user having problems because a shared library used by
a 3rd party module also had a routine called crc32().
Yes, and I've encountered problem with mod_gzip because one the PHP module was linked against ct_lib ;)

- or make configure detect zlib shared lib and make mod_deflate
  available by default ?

if this can be made foolproof then this is perhaps a good option
too...  but I'm not sure that is portable on whether the DSO needs to
be linked with zlib or whether httpd needs to be linked with zlib...
and if httpd needs to be linked with zlib then the export file
generation needs to do the right thing...  IIRC, one solution that
would work fine on Linux and Solaris and FreeBSD wouldn't work on
HP-UX (I might have the platforms listed in the wrong place; maybe AIX
was one of the platforms)...
So extracting zlib source part and include them in Apache or APR seems to be the best solution.

--/--

The reason I'm being a real stick-in-the-mud about this is because
Apache users already seem to have enough trouble getting Apache to
build out of the box, usually because of some screwy setup or other
unexpected conditions that nobody can ever reproduce, and it is very
difficult for me to accept that some quick change to turn on
mod_deflate is going to do anything other than increase these
problems, particularly since I committed various "user errors" myself
getting consistent builds of mod_deflate and zlib.  (Heck, I even
broke the cvs executable on one machine before I found out what was
going on :) )
Under Linux I've got little problem, but it's a widely used and supported OS ;)