hmmm, I actually like the idea.  It would allow us to create a very feature
rich auth module, supporting all sorts of different kinds of schemas for
group membership and what not. - I disagree that the sql re-use would just
be a few lines, I think it would be quite a bit more if features were added.

>It would be different if the proposed mod_authn_sql (or mod_authn_rdbm)
would
>implement a generic connection pooling.

this, IMO, doesn't belong in an auth module itself.  if you implement connection
pooling it should be independent of who is using the connections.

sterling