Geoffrey Young wrote:

I've griped a bit before about having default_handler make conditional GET
decisions, and this is probably another instance where having
ap_meets_conditions in it's own filter could avoid inevitable problems.

I'm up for laying out my issues if the list is interested in them and
reevaluating the whole meets_conditions/filter_init stuff.

please do

I have the *feeling* that Paul's patch is a very safe fix (i.e., no regression for 2.0.x) for the missing Expires on 304, and in general I like the idea of a module getting the chance to add a filter on the error path, but I have no awareness of other problems caused by the present meets-conditions handling.