Geoffrey Young wrote:
[...]
hopefully, this kind of makes sense to at least some people.  personally,
the only thing that makes sense to me is moving conditonal GET logic to it's
own filter, similar to Content-Length I suppose.  yes, it would slow down
the server for default+deflate responses, but I guess that would be the
trade-off for allowing people to properly control the cache-correctness of
their responses (among other things).

What if you use a plain connection filter to manipulate the headers and remove it the moment the output headers have been sent? If understand correctly you want this filter to be triggered the moment the first bit of the response body is sent (if any). Could this be then done by a response body filter which will then immediately remove itself from the filters stack?