On 05/03/2006 11:27 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Moreso, we need more third party authors to -participate- in telling us
> what
> in HTTPD-2.4 will make their module better.  And a faster cycle of 6mos-1yr
> gives them a chance to do this and realize the benefits in the official
> release more quickly.

But some of them will fall off the shelf (I guess especially some commercial
ones), because they do not want to invest time again into an changing API.
This means that they stick with an older version and do not do releases for
each major version, but lets say for every second.
Furthermore having frequent major releases increases the backport requests from
user side and thus likely the backport efforts, as some users stick with older
versions for whatever reasons (e.g. third party modules).
I know we had this discussion about major release cycles several times in the
past.
Both approaches have pros and cons. So each side can dig out its old arguments
/ mails
as I do not think that something essential new has been added to the pros and
cons
since last time :-).
Maybe we should have a FDT (Frequently Discussed Topics) to collect the
arguments ;-).

> Note that 2.2 will be a year old by December, so even if this concerns you,
> we are already half way there.

One for you. In 5 month httpd 2.2 is not far away from its first birthday.
I hate infant mortality :-).

Regards

RĂ¼diger