On Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 09:46:50PM -0400, Tom Donovan wrote:
> Maybe not threatening - but it is an eye-opener for some of us that the
> Apache2 license protects "released" versions of Apache differently.

It doesn't.

> My (possibly faulty) understanding was that the whole "Redistribution"
> and "Disclaimer of Warranty" parts applied to *any* Apache software -
> even if it was built from today's bug-ridden head revision of the trunk,

It does.

In order the protect *comitters* (not distributors) the ASF have some
practises that allow it to (potentially) absorb some of the liability on
releases. Because there's a vote and a chain of authority from the board
yada yada yada in theory the release is made by the ASF as a corporate
entity - not any single person.

>From the point of view of a distributor, this practise may incline you
to accept that a release is more "clean" but it makes no difference to
your liability. As always though, if distributors have legal concerns
about anything, then they should consult *their* lawyers.

--
Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: [EMAIL PROTECTED]