On Feb 13, 2008, at 12:59 PM, Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group wrote:

We will never be able to completely avoid race conditions...
whether keepalives are in place or not.

But at least the one that comes from the keepalive timer expiring on
the backend at the same time I sent the request to it. If the
backend answered to OPTIONS * on a keepalive connection it is
reasonable to assume that the keepalive timeout will not expire
until the real request hit the backend.
Regarding other races I agree, but I think the above one is the
one that is hit most frequently.

Ahh... but that goes back to one of my original questions:
do we honor force-proxy-request-1.0 and/or proxy-nokeepalive
for example or not... I can see reasons for both :)

And again, we're basically doubling traffic and adding
overheard (more overhead than AJP's cping/cpong) at which
point I go back into wondering whether this sort of
implementation makes sense at all...