Nick Kew wrote:
As for maintaining local patches, he's not the only one doing that,
and our license clearly allows it.  Licenses that restrict such
things seem to be widely disliked: c.f. DJB/qmail.
We've made a concerted effort to supply all patches back, yet we always find that we maintain a few local patches. We don't want to, but there are various bits that we just never successfully pushed back for one reason or another, e.g.:

   * mod_authn_alias.dep/.dsp/.mak: changes for building on Windows
         o Not sure why [as I'm no longer doing these builds myself]
           could be to allow us to build with an older MS studio
   * mod_deflate.c: added support for a response header which will
     allow responses (e.g. from Tomcat) to dynamically opt out of
     compression
         o code was suggested on the Apache lists, but uninteresting to
           Apache trunk apparently
   * util_ldap*.c: still changing '#if APR_HAS_SHARED_MEMORY' to '#if
     0' as last we checked the shared memory stuff was still unstable
     with the worker MPM -- at least on Solaris and AIX

--
Jess Holle