I need to double check it by myself(One of the internal tester was saying that this happens with openssl-0.9.8b).
I vaguely remember this happening with openssl-0.9.8g.

Unfortunately I could not build/use openssl-0.9.8b and openssl-0.9.8e on my box.

I get the following error for which I do not know *solution* right now,

[kam...@kamesh openssl-0.9.8e]$ /home/kamesh/openssl-0.9.8e/bin/openssl genrsa 1024 -out /tmp/server.key
Generating RSA private key, 1024 bit long modulus
e is 65537 (0x10001)
Illegal instruction

>Also since you post that the problem is with the client - did you also
>rebuild the client with newer OpenSSL 0.8.8k, or even with 1.0.0.b3?

Will experiment and get back.

I do not have win32 build system to build svn clients against openssl 1.0.0.b3

With regards
Kamesh Jayachandran