Kamesh Jayachandran wrote:

>> I need to double check it by myself(One of the internal tester was
>> saying that this happens with openssl-0.9.8b).
>> I vaguely remember this happening with openssl-0.9.8g.
>>

> Unfortunately I could not build/use openssl-0.9.8b and openssl-0.9.8e on
> my box.
>
> I get the following error for which I do not know *solution* right now,
>

> [kam...@kamesh openssl-0.9.8e]$ /home/kamesh/openssl-0.9.8e/bin/openssl
> genrsa 1024 -out /tmp/server.key
> Generating RSA private key, 1024 bit long modulus
> ................++++++
> ....++++++
> e is 65537 (0x10001)
> Illegal instruction

That's due to the function pointer issues which gcc 4.2 and later doesn't like:
this was fixed in newer versions of OpenSSL.

Do you need TLS extensions on the client/server? If not try compiling OpenSSL
with no-tlsext.

Did you say what version of OpenSSL the failing client was using on Windows?

It is strange that this doesn't happen straight away.

Steve.
--
Dr Stephen N. Henson. Senior Technical/Cryptography Advisor,
Open Source Software Institute: www.oss-institute.org