Am 29.05.2015 um 18:36 schrieb Wang, Andy:
It didn't break api compatibly but it sure did break backwards compatibility.
I'm pretty sure if you link against 1.0.2 you can't run with an older 1.0.x
library. Which is what appears to happen in Mario's case.

That's correct. If the app or lib you compile uses symbols only available in newer versions, then this is true. An example is mod_ssl. The runtime version needs to have the same SONAME and must have at least the same numeric OpenSSL version as the compile version.

I'm speculating as to why - being related to improperly replacing a system
package management maintained library.

I don't get the "why": Why what? Why his runtime version is older than the version used during compile time? For that he would have to track down the files used. I tried to gave hints how to do that.

Regards,

Rainer