Along the lines of "to be continued" - IMHO httpd should be one of the
early adopters of not allowing linkage to versions of openssl that cannot
support TLS1.2.

I have built (on AIX) against libreSSL (v2.1.6) with some private additions
for AIX (that will be verified and improved upon by openbsd in the soon to
be released libreSSL 2.2 version).

Basically, there are only two defines that were 'missing'. One was rather
'obscure' it what it is suppossed to be doing (i.e., looking in the openssl
code) - the other was downright 'dangerous" because it permits 'any
external so-called enthrophy generator' to be added and used for randomness
- because it is, or at least was, part of the openSSL libraries. (the
approach of libreSSL was to completely remove it, hence a missing #define).

Again - to be continued. and asap - in a separate post I will post the
differences to get it to link against libreSSL (p.s. only mod_ssl needs
this afaik).