On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 10:48 AM Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 11:20 AM Helmut K. C. Tessarek
> <tessa...@evermeet.cx> wrote:
> >
> > On 2019-09-27 03:00, Stefan Eissing wrote:
> > > I know of no plans to implement HTTP/3 support in Apache httpd.
> >
> > I'm sorry, but this seems rather strange to me. So what's the idea
> behind this
> > decision (or better said the lack of a plan)?

It's helpful to understand the nature of the ASF. We are always an incubator
of great solutions written in code. But there is no ombudsman, no dictates
which direct projects to do X, Y or Z when it comes to the code that our
projects create. No demands of implementing features, etc. Everything that
someone steps up to offer end up right here for discussion on dev@.

There is no planning cabul, or even budget to put this on some coders
to accomplish. You certainly can add an enhancement request on our
bugzilla tracker to suggest this, but it is on some motivated party to bring
the development effort to the table.

> HTTP/3 would be a lot of work, a lot of shoehorning into HTTPD, and
> likely be de-stabilizing for quite some time.   There is
> simply nobody (seemingly) working on it.
>

> HTTPD is great and familiar to lots of people, but HTTPD'S age brings
> a lot of baggage. Lots of other great servers have much
> less baggage and currently have much more commercial interest and buzz.

And it is engineered as an http/1 server. While we can now (with all props
to Stefan and Tatsuhiro) claim http/2, we don't have the framework to really
offer great h2 push support and other architecture required for long-lived
dynamic request pipelines. http/2 and http/3 offer server-originated
transactions that httpd never anticipated. That would be an entirely new
module which both mod_http2 and mod_http3 would want to build on,
and an entirely new definition of the CGI spec and related modules.

So we "speak" http/2 now, and might speak http/3 sooner or later with
Google's quiche or some other provider. But the server isn't constructed
to be attentive to both the client's traffic demands and the backend's
desire to push unsolicited traffic. That would be a fun chasm for some
coders to jump, and we would welcome them here.