For me the main advantage is that the source is plain XML so it's diffable.

Another advantage is that the source can be transformed into a large variety of formats (PDF, HTML, Word, Eclipse Help, etc.)

Most publishers accept DOCBOOK markup as input.  So if anyone every wanted to publish the developer's guide, it would be simple. (I know this is not really going to happen, but I think it says something that places like O'Reilly accept DOCBOOK)

Jeff Butler