Hey everyone,

Thanks Jack for setting this up, and everyone for their feedback so far.
Sharing my exact response from the private@:

Hey Jack,

> Thanks for raising this, and favor of having a bylaws where we can
> formally adopt ways of working that are specific to the Iceberg project.
> For example, we have the community guidelines
> <https://iceberg.apache.org/community/#community-guidelines> that could
> be adopted into the bylaws.
>
> Putting up my ASF-member hat
> <https://apache.org/foundation/how-it-works/#hats>. I've read through the
> first iteration of the bylaws, and I would suggest removing a couple of
> things from there:
>
>    - The ASF already defines a subset of the votes
>    <https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting#votes-on-code-modification> that
>    are written down in the document. For example, the doc defines a release as
>    a lazy majority, but according to the ASF docs
>    <https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting#votes-on-code-modification>, it
>    is a majority approval. I strongly feel that we should not diverge this.
>    There are already docs on voting in new committers and PMCs
>    <https://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html>. I would rather
>    reference those instead of copying them.
>    - I do not see the point of the Emeritus status, both for committers
>    and PMC. It seems to me a lot of work to keep track of it, and according to
>    the doc, the emeritus keeps the full privileges.
>
> Before publishing the doc on the public mailing list, I would suggest
> removing at least those two to avoid a lot of noise in the discussion. I
> would also suggest starting minimal and then adopting things one by one
> (for example, the committer and PMC criteria would be a good one).
>
> I have more comments, but I don't want to go down the rabbit hole right
> away. Thanks again for raising this, and curious what others think.
>
> Kind regards,
> Fokko

As mentioned in my initial response, I think there is value in the bylaws,
but I'm a firm believer in people over process (community over code?). I'll
go over the Google-doc tomorrow morning in detail.

Kind regards,
Fokko Driesprong