Ivan, I agree with you: some our code style rules are really uncommon.

As for one-time contributions, if somebody decides to make a contribution
to some project, it's ok to adopt that project rules. Moreover, reviewing
committer can silently fix minor code style issues himself upon merge.

--
Best regards,
  Andrey Kuznetsov.