Wearing the hat of Apache Ignite PMC:
I'm against starting with dependency on GridGain code in any case. Gridgain
can do its own forks of both.

We all know how much influence the company has on the community and adding
one more (I remind there is gridgain:shmem)
means the open-governed solution is dependent on closely-governed. Would
you use something open-source if it depends on binaries? I don't care about
license in that case.

you can count on '-1' from my side.

GitHub project outside any commercial company accounts, there all Apache
committers added as collaborators may work.