The process is:

1. download bin distribution
2. unzip
3. cd lib
4. ant copy-dependencies

Then you have all your dependencies (direct and transitive) and can use
them manually with Ant however you see fit.

To be honest I don't see the big difference with what you're proposing.

We won't package all the dependencies in a single jar - it's plainly a
bad practice for a number of reasons.   But you are free to do so if you
so wish once you have executed step 4 above.

Cheers