Am 17.04.2016 um 15:16 schrieb Milamber:

I will commit my changes to reduce the size of the block.

We can continue to discuss to the better place for the Twitter button and/or the github/mc buttons, that isn't a blocker for the 3.0 release.

Perhaps, Felix can purpose later some variants of the home page with the buttons at several places to allow to decide the best place.
I thought of a social bar at the right side of the content div, where only small buttons are shown for the various social media sides (like twitter, g+ or facebook). A sample of such an implementation could be seen on heise.de.

The buttons on the top right side are links to the various social media sites. If you want to share the page, you will find links to do so at the bottom of each content site.

Those positions seem to be decent enough, not to disturb the visitor, while prominent enough, to be noticable. (Heise has even started a project (https://github.com/heiseonline/shariff) to include these buttons in a way that maximises the privacy of the visitor - not everyone wants facebook or twitter to know, which pages they have visited.)

The badges for github and co, are another story and I honestly don't have a clue, where to put them best.

Regards,
 Felix

(or better: have some web designer works to make a full re-lifting of the home page)