Thanks for raising this John.

While we are working to eliminate the existing blockers I think it would be
great to use this time in order to test the upgrade path that you mention.

Before we approve a release candidate (once such a RC is generated) we
should confirm that the upgrade works as expected.
So, I agree with you that this is not an RC generation blocker per se but
it's a release blocker overall.

Konstantine