+1
As a member of a team which operates several Kafka clusters, I am
unequipped when it comes to troubleshooting issues with project teams
that did not understand the importance of configuring client-side
monitoring.
Kafka represents a fraction of their work and they don't have enough
experience, time or interest in trying to understand the meaning behind
every metric.

I stand 100% behind what Colin stated back in June in the Discuss thread :

> Magnus and I explained a few times the reasons why it does matter. Within
> most organizations, there are usually several teams using clients, which
> are separate from the team which maintains the Kafka cluster. The Kafka
> team has the Kafka experts, which makes it the best place to centralize
> collecting and analyzing Kafka metrics.

Thanks for this KIP.