Hi David,
I like the idea, it will solve the problem we've seen a couple of times in
the last 2 weeks where compilation for some Scala version failed, it was
probably overlooked during the PR build because of the flakiness of tests
and the compilation failure was buried among the amount of failed tests.

Regarding the type of check, I'm not sure what's best, have a real quick
check or a longer one including unit tests. A full test suite will run per
each commit in each PR (these we have definitely more than 8 per day) and
this should be used to ensure changes are safe and sound. I'm not sure if
having unit tests run as well before the merge itself would cause too much
of an extra load on the CI machines.
We can go with `gradlew unitTest` and see if this takes too long or causes
too many delays with the normal pipeline.

Best,

--
[image: Aiven] <https://www.aiven.io>

*Josep Prat*
Open Source Engineering Director, *Aiven*
josep.p...@aiven.io   |   +491715557497
aiven.io <https://www.aiven.io>   |   <https://www.facebook.com/aivencloud>
  <https://www.linkedin.com/company/aiven/>   <https://twitter.com/aiven_io>
*Aiven Deutschland GmbH*
Alexanderufer 3-7, 10117 Berlin
Geschäftsführer: Oskari Saarenmaa & Hannu Valtonen
Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 209739 B