Hi all,

We have had many delays with releases this year. We should try to get back on
schedule.

I agree with the idea that was proposed a few times in this thread of drawing a
line under 3.8 now, and doing a short 3.9 release. I posted a 3.9 release plan
here: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Release+Plan+3.9.0

I think we could start doing RCs for 3.8.0 as early as next week. There are a
few things that need to be reverted first (anything related to KIP-853 or
KIP-966).

Josep, if you agree, I will update KIP-1012 to reflect that these things are
landing in 3.9 rather than 3.8. And we can start doing all the normal release
stuff. The main blocker JIRA I'm aware of is KAFKA-16946, which is a very
simple fix.

best,
Colin