im all for (working towards) getting rid of old code, but there's still no
solid migration path - you'll be "stranding" users on deprecated, no longer
maintained code with no "safe" way out that does not involve downtime
(specifically old and new consumers cannot correctly divide up partitions
between themselves if both operate within the same group on the same topic).