Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. A few thoughts follow.

The ideal scenario would be for us to provide a tool for no downtime
migration as discussed in the original thread (I filed
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-4513 in response to that
discussion). There are a few issues, however:

   - There doesn't seem to be much demand for it (outside of LinkedIn, at
   least)
   - No-one is working on it or has indicated that they are planning to
   work on it
   - It's a non-trivial change and it requires a good amount of testing to
   ensure it works as expected

I suggested the KIP to raise awareness. Maybe there's more demand than we
think and/or someone is planning to work on it. The latter, in particular,
would be great news.

In the meantime, we have this suboptimal situation where the old consumers
are close to unmaintained even though we don't say it outright: they don't
get new features (basic things like security are missing) and bug fixes are
rare. In practice, the old clients have been deprecated a while back, we
just haven't made it official. This proposal is about rectifying that so
that we communicate our intentions to our users more clearly. As Vahid
said, this KIP is not about changing how we maintain the existing code.

The KIP that proposes the removal of all the old clients will be more
interesting, but it doesn't exist yet. :)

Ismael

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 3:27 AM, Vahid S Hashemian <vahidhashem...@us.ibm.com