Since the APIs are super different, I expect migrating from the old to
the new consumer will involve some re-write of the app that does the
consuming. In most such cases, the upgrade path involves running both
versions side-by-side for a while, validating results and then
retiring the old version. Sometimes migration of offsets is needed and
Grant published a tool for that a while back.

Having a rolling upgrade plan between both APIs is pretty involved and
I'm not sure there's a real demand for it (i.e. it sounds good to have
it, but that's probably not how people will end up migrating).

Gwen

--
Gwen Shapira
Product Manager | Confluent