I'm +0 (non-binding) on this now. I think the proposal here adds quite a
lot of complexity to Kafka, makes building client libraries much harder,
and is going to confuse users a lot. I'm also worried about this feature
being hard to implement, and/or testing not being rigorous enough - Aphyr's
Jepsen series shows how hard this kind of functionality is to get right in
real world environments in the face of network failures. Those tests take
hundreds of person-hours to conduct and analyze, and I hope this community
will put in similar time in stabilizing this tricky feature before it
reaches a released version.

However, exactly-once processing is very useful, and my non-binding
reservations probably shouldn't hold the project back.