Charles Moulliard wrote:

> The idea to use OBR resolver api and OBR Server is excellent by
> allowing to hide the real repository used behind (maven, obr, ivy,
> ....)
>
> When deploying project into production, we are always faced to
> administrators reluctant to use maven. Using an OBR server embedded in
> karaf will allow us to achieve this deployment goal in an transparent
> way as the user can parameter which repo (local, central, internet)
> he/she would like to use. By the way, we can propose one provisioning
> mechanism (obr is not required as features commands are similars with
> obr except obr:source and obre:find) and use the following file (thx
> to JB idea) --> /etc/org.apache.karaf.resolver.cfg to configure
> repositories and resolver mechanism. In this case, the file
> /etc/org.ops4j.pax.mvn.cfg is not longer required.
>
> My 4cents
>
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> <j...@nanthrax.net> wrote:
>> Agree, it's not provisioning (we can use ACE or another tool for
>> provisioning).
>> My purpose is more to have a central OBR, monitored and administrated by
>> admin, which could be used by OBR clients, including Karaf.
>>
>> Regards
>> JB
>>
>> On 03/15/2011 01:06 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>>
>>> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 10:26, Achim
>>> Nierbeck<bcanh...@googlemail.com>

>>> OBR is not a provisioning system.  It's just a resolver API.  It only
>>> helps finding what actually need to be deployed.

Charles,

There is a way to get around the whole issue with requiring a client to have
access to a maven repository. I use a perl script that creates a local
repository with all of the bundles for an application once I get it
successfully deployed into Karaf (tested, working, etc). Basically, it
parses each bundle's bundle.location file to get the mvn uri, and then drops
the bundle into that location in the local repo, under its appropriate name.
It also creates a simple features.xml file in that local repository.  Then,
I add that local repository name to the features.cfg file, tar up the local
repo and etc directories, and blammo, instant installation package!

Too bad we don't have this sort of functionality built into the karaf
console.  Something like dev:createDeploymentRepository...

-----
Karafman
Slayer of the JEE
Pounder of the Perl Programmer