Hi Achim

Just wanted to share concerns I received. Basically, PAX projects are
"free fields", without strong guarantee in the release (not formal
staging/vote/review).

It doesn't mean we don't do that, it's just not strongly enforced;)

Hello,

I think this is a matter of perception and communication.

As a downstream of a number of ASF projects as well being a committer of a number under-staffed FOSS project myself, I can see only one benefit here -- which is migration of issues to ASF JIRA.

None of the technical details will change, nor will responsiveness, nor the release cadence/quality, really -- unless Karaf committers actually take interest in that codebase. Those aspects are driven by community participants and not by the umbrella under which the project operates.

I have two examples for ASF projects:

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARIES-1826 has been sitting there for better part of three years without a release

2. SSHD is very responsive, with people rotating, but it is at ~6 months release cadence and those releases have caused regressions in the past -- i.e. as a downstream we had to hold back and/or apply workarounds like https://github.com/opendaylight/netconf/commit/f25f45ff27c8a7c7df780df609ec33f6662ea61e#diff-15197c97491b43d179750a5b8ea9ab1f141373544171185da9170a773faee414R21

So, with due respect to whoever has that concerns, my message is clear: changing governance and/or the umbrella will not address them. Boots on the ground will.

Regards,
Robert