You make an interesting point about usability here.

At the same time, it highlights the fact that the installation would not be
from an Apache distribution channel and I would be concerned about folks
checking out the demo and once it was working not picking up an official
release.

The current demo is based on your build from the master branch - I assume.
This isn't an official Apache release which is may be problematic
license-wise.

The steps that you describe for trying it out are necessary only because it
requires a build from master - until 0.8.0 is released. At which time, the
user would download an official Apache release of Knox 0.8.0, unzip it,
copy the templates into place and fire it up.

It might be interesting to consider a script for copying the templates for
various configurations into place as a usability improvement.

I will try and find some Apache language about non-Apache distributions for
such a purpose and see whether it is legal to reference them.
In the meantime, I would be interested in others' opinions on the matter.