Hi sophie,

On Monday, 2008-12-01 18:16:27 +0100, sophie wrote:

> > It seems that the texts are names of products delivered by Avery.
> >   Brand "Avery" seems to list products available in the U.S.
> >   Brand "Avery Zweckform" seems to list ones available in Germany.
> >
> > Do we really need to translate them?
>
> If you want to have them in your language in the UI you need to
> translate them and labels are often used by companies.
> But what is incorrect is to have German strings as source for our
> translation. I don't know who has approved this but it's a mistake for me.

Depends on ... ;-)  I don't know whether you can buy the Zweckform
labels anywhere else than in Germany, and I also don't know
a translation of the examples given, or if there exists one if they were
sold abroad. Heck, I'm a native German speaker and I even don't know the
German terms used with those labels ;-)

So, it might be better to not translate them, unless there are official
translations used by the Zweckform company for packaging.

For the Avery labels probably native English terms do exist.

  Eike

--
 OOo/SO Calc core developer. Number formatter stricken i18n transpositionizer.
 SunSign   0x87F8D412 : 2F58 5236 DB02 F335 8304  7D6C 65C9 F9B5 87F8 D412