martedì 24 febbraio 2009 Eike Rathke ha scritto:

> Hi Valter,
>
> On Monday, 2009-02-16 20:11:55 +0100, Valter Mura wrote:
> > > It ('sc') is a Macrolanguage code though,  which means it encompasses
> > > several specific Sardinian languages, see
> > > http://sil.org/iso639-3/codes.asp?order=reference_name&letter=s
> > >
> > > Which of the listed Sardinian languages are we talking about?
> > >
> > > sro  Sardinian, Campidanese
> > > sdn  Sardinian, Gallurese
> > > src  Sardinian, Logudorese
> > > sdc  Sardinian, Sassarese
> >
> > All these languages are variants, that's to say dialects inside the
> > Sardinian territory. We are checking now if we need to use a "Macrocode"
> > for that such as "sc", see below.
>
> Well, they seem different enough that they got distinct language codes
> assigned. Note that dialects do not get language codes assigned. It
> isn't a problem to use the 'sc' code for UI l10n, I just wanted to point
> out that maybe a specific language is to be used.
>
> Do we need the separate codes for text language attribution or locale
> data? In other words: would spell-checking or e.g. day or month names
> differ between those languages?

Hi Eike,

sorry in advance for the long reply:

The ISO codes are a semplification of the real situation here.

Well, in Sardinia 5 languages co-exist: Sardinian, Gallurese (a south-corsican
variety), Sassarese (a mix between Gallurese/Sardinian/Italian with Italian
plurals), Algherese (a sort of ancient Cathalan mixed with some Sardinian) and
Tabarchino (a ligurian variety, italian dialect).

In Sardinia there is a law, 26/97, which describes this linguistic situation,
and consider Sardinian from one side and the other "non-sardinian languages"
on the other side, but inside the territory. To be clear, I'm speaking "from a
philological and linguistical/phonetical point of view".

When we talk of Loguderese and Campidanese we are considering an old
classification, because Logudorese and Campidanese are variants of a same
language, Sardinian.

Now, we'll try to open an issue with ISO and SIL to clarify this point.

Finally, we can consider to use either "sc" or "srd" for the language. it
would be better to use "sc", if possible, but if you consider "srd" the best
choice, please advise, so that I can start to open the issue and organize the
work.

Best regards,
--
Valter