2009/9/18 Frank Peters <f...@sun.com>:
> Are you saying that *none* of those rollback changes are in m59?
>
> Like I wrote in my other response that was complicated
> since we had to make sure not to touch anything that already was
> localized before m56.

Well, Frank, some were, but others remained, like the one I quoted in
previous mail. Also unwanted spaces were added m56->m59, so the
rollback was not a pure success.
It is really hard now to count how many unwanted changes remained in
m59, but I can send you two most polluted po files that contain the
fuzzy changed strings and you could quickly see the range of changes -
besides the needed changes of help text there are also the unwanted
ones left.

I want to make a clear picture to you and all on this list, so I made
a quick run-through through one of the po files. Maybe the numbers are
not exact, I was really just browsing.

For example, the most "changed" file is
"holpcontent2/source/text/swriter/guide.po" (that corresponds to
"helpcontent2/source/text/swriter/guide/... help files):

m56 -> m59 brought

533 fuzzy strings and 8 new untranslated strings

Out of 533 fuzzy strings there are:

* 122 changed <bookmark> kind-of strings with added unwanted spaces! I
have now quickly browsed through them and only a few (3?) changed ones
did not get unwanted 6 spaces!

* 214 changed tags from <emph> to <menuitem> (vast majority, like 200
of those strings) or unexisting <menuitems> added or <emph> to
<literal> changes; with this changes in around 75% the unwanted spaces
were introduced, and in many cases also syntax got corrupt because of
left-behind </emph> tags, like this: "In the <item
type=\"menuitem\">Meaning</item>               <emph/>list, select the
definition that matches the context of the word."

* around 130 changes in subchapter or instruction list titles, mostly
colons were removed at the end or first letters of words changed to
capitals, but also new titles were introduced

* 18 icon size changes (and someone said that size in the icon
description is deprecated)!

---
this makes already around 490 of 533 changes. If we agree that those
490 include like 50-100 needed changes, there are more than 400
unwanted or should-a-been-automatic changes out of 533!

Also, I would like to warn or ask about the following change: in these
help files simple quotes or <emph> tags of some emphasised words or
terms were changed to left and right double quotes, you know the
typesetting ones, the special characters. Is this really desired
change in your xml files? They are really not common in online help of
other software or web pages, I would say.

I would really like further instructions what do we do with these 490
changes (and others in the other files).
- bookmarks - I guess we leave old translations, ignoring the added spaces?
- menuitems tags - will you revert this back after 3.2 or do we need
to handle them now? You introduced so many errors with spaces that
after 3.2 you will need to go through all of them manually anyway and
revert parts of string changes ...

Now maybe someone from the developers might understand our frustration ...

Thanks,
m.