On Fri, 2015-01-30 at 03:02 +0000, Schaufler, Casey wrote:
> [...]

Looks fine:

$ grep POSIX_ACL /boot/config-3.16.0-4-amd64
CONFIG_EXT4_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_JFS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_XFS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_BTRFS_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_TMPFS_POSIX_ACL=y
# CONFIG_HFSPLUS_FS_POSIX_ACL is not set
CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_F2FS_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_CEPH_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_9P_FS_POSIX_ACL=y

> > > the filesystem you're
> > > reading from doesn't support them,
> >
> > It's the ext3 loop mounted rootfs.
>
> Try chacl on a file on that filesystem.

Works for other files.

> > >  or the
> > > filesystem you're writing to does not support them.
> >
> > Reading already fails.
>
> Try viewing the ACL with chacl. You may be surprised.

Hmm, no? ;-) I fails exactly the same way as cp and xattr did.

> > Do these POSIX ACLs for /var/volatile/log matter in the context of
> > Tizen?
>
> Beats me. Who manages that file?

The image was created by Yocto, in userspace. I don't know yet where the
ACL came from.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.