I asked Gary if he can re-evaluate his decision on `XmlLayout`, since he
was the only one who requested to keep it in `main`. He kindly checked this
in his employer's codebase, could not locate any `XmlLayout` usage, and
agreed to drop it from `main`. (Thank you Gary! 🙇) I will implement this
change, FYI.