On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Uwe Schindler <u...@thetaphi.de> wrote:

>  But you need one, if you want to backwport some feature. My point was,
> that if you are planning to backport something, its better to start
> developing on stable, as else you can possibly get problems when you only
> have a clean API without any idea how to implement a backwards.

I don't think we should backport any features that require sophisticated
backwards layers.

> So for features that should be backported, start to plan with backwards in
> mind from the beginning.

I disagree, I think because Lucene is a library, features should be
developed with the best possible API from a users perspective in mind. I
think this doesn't quite get the priority it should today, as "back-compat
trumps all" despite the fact its broken in every release anyway.

Then separately, if there is a way to backport them easily, then we should
certainly do it, but not if it require sophistication. instead it should
just wait for the next major release

--
Robert Muir
rcm...@gmail.com