> My main problem with devleoping new features on trunk first and then porting
> by adding backwards cruft is, that you first don’t care with backwards and
> then suddenly have to think about it. This may change the API on trunk
> again, to get nearer to backwards or maybe because a backwards layer is not
> possible. E.g. at the beginning of AttributeSource-TokenStream API, when
> Michael and me discussed about the sophisticated® backwards layer, we also
> did some changes to the new TokenStream API, to support backwards better.

I agree with Robert here. The whole damn point of unstable trunk is to
allow developers to NOT think about backwards-compatibility, and think
about best possible API instead.

Backwards-compatibility is a sin, a necessary sin, but a sin
nonetheless. Each time you have such impure thoughts, you should
cleanse your soul by confessing at your local JUG.

--
Kirill Zakharenko/Кирилл Захаренко (ear...@gmail.com)
ICQ: 104465785