Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Lucy Wiki" for change
notification.

The "LucyIncubatorProposal" page has been changed by MarvinHumphrey.
The comment on this change is: Change Rationale to mention C's
interoperability, fine-grained control..
http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/LucyIncubatorProposal?action=diff&rev1=33&rev2=34

  Since the Lucene PMC will not be responsible for Lucy much longer, it is more
appropriate for the software grant to take place within the context of the
Incubator than the Lucene TLP.  As none of our current members have Apache PMC
experience, we also seek to take advantage of the Incubator environment to
prepare ourselves for responsible self-governance.

  == Rationale ==
- There is great hunger for a search engine library in the mode of Lucene which
is accessible from various dynamic languages, and for one accessible from pure
C.  Individuals naturally wish to code in their language of choice.
Organizations which do not have significant Java expertise may not want to
support Java strictly for the sake of running a Lucene installation.  Native
applications may be launched much more quickly than JVMs.  Lucy will meet all
these demands.
+ There is great hunger for a search engine library in the mode of Lucene which
is accessible from various dynamic languages, and for one accessible from pure
C.  Individuals naturally wish to code in their language of choice.
Organizations which do not have significant Java expertise may not want to
support Java strictly for the sake of running a Lucene installation.
Developers may want to take advantage of C's interoperability and fine-grained
control.  Lucy will meet all these demands.

  Apache is a natural home for our project given the way it has always
operated: user-driven innovation, security as a requirement, lively and amiable
mailing list discussions, strength through diversity, and so on.  We feel
comfortable here, and we believe that we will become exemplary Apache citizens.