Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Lucy Wiki" for change
notification.

The "LucyIncubatorProposal" page has been changed by MarvinHumphrey.
The comment on this change is: Reduce usage of the word "community" and make a
few other minor changes..
http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/LucyIncubatorProposal?action=diff&rev1=34&rev2=35

  We look forward to continuing to operate as a meritocracy under the
established traditions and rules of the ASF.

  === Community ===
- Lucy's most active participants of late have been drawn from the KinoSearch
and Lucene communities.  Having been focused on features and technical goals
for a long time, we are considerably overdue for a stable release, and
anticipate rapid community growth in its wake.
+ Lucy's most active participants of late have been drawn from the KinoSearch
and Lucene communities.  Having been focused on features and technical goals
for a long time, we are considerably overdue for a stable release, and
anticipate rapid growth in its wake.

  === Core Developers ===
-  * Marvin Humphrey is the project founder of KinoSearch, and co-founded the
existing Lucy subproject.  He is presently employed by Eventful, Inc.
+  * Marvin Humphrey is the project founder of KinoSearch, and co-founded the
existing Lucy sub-project.  He is presently employed by Eventful, Inc.
   * Peter Karman has contributed to several open source projects since 2001,
including being a committer at http://swish-e.org/ (a search engine),
http://code.google.com/p/rose/ (an ORM) and http://catalyst.perl.org/ (web
framework).  He is employed by American Public Media.
   * Nathan Kurz has participated in numerous open source projects and has been
a KinoSearch committer since 2007.  He is currently Chief Flavor Engineer of
Scream Sorbet, and writes software in his copious free time.

  === Alignment ===
  One Apache value which is particularly cherished by the Lucy community is
codebase transparency.  We have developed institutions which enable us to
measure and maximize usability (see [http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/BrainLog]),
and we feel strongly that the bindings for Lucy must present APIs and
documentation which are idiomatic to the host language culture so that end
users can consume our work as easily as possible.

- The controlled competition of meritocratic community development is also very
important to us.  There has been substantial cross-pollination of ideas between
the Lucene and Lucy communities, yielding considerable benefits for both
projects.  The Lucy developers envision that our host-language sub-communities
will approach using and extending the library in distinct ways; we hope to
harness the creative tension between them to drive innovation, building
productive relationships akin to the one that Lucene and Lucy have today.
+ The controlled competition of meritocratic community development is also very
important to us.  There has been substantial cross-pollination of ideas between
Lucene and Lucy, yielding considerable benefits for both projects.  The Lucy
developers envision that our host-language sub-communities will approach using
and extending the library in distinct ways; we hope to harness the creative
tension between them to drive innovation, building productive relationships
akin to the one that Lucene and Lucy have today.

  A third priority of ours is to be bound by existing Apache institutions, for
the protection of all our stakeholders.