With the default settings in Eclipse, the Lucene/Solr codebase shows
over 6000 warnings.  This is the case for both branch_4x and trunk.  I'm
no expert, but this does seem a little excessive.  If I were to take on
the task of reducing this number, what advice can the group give me?  Is
there someone in particular that I should consider a resource for
inevitable dumb questions?

I haven't done an exhaustive survey, but I would imagine that most of
them can be eliminated fairly easily.  I'm fully aware that we may not
be able to eliminate them all.

One problem with fixing warnings is that the resulting patch(es) would
be just as invasive as the recent work to move branch_4x to Java 7.
This would complicate any ongoing work, especially large-scale work that
is happening onchange-specific branches.

A similar topic that may require a separate discussion: FindBugs.

Thanks,
Shawn