Just because some tool expresses distaste, doesn't imply that everyone
here agrees that it's a problem we should fix.

In my experience, the default Sonar rulesets contain many things that
people here are prone to disagree with. Start with serialVersionUID:
do we care? Why would we care? In what cases to we really believe that
a sane person would be using Java serialization with a Lucene/Solr
class?

Sonar can also be a bit cranky; it arranges for various tools to run
via mechanisms that sometimes conflict with the ways you might run
them yourself.

So I'd suggest a process like:

1. Someone proposes a set of (e.g.) checkstyle rules to live by.
2. That ruleset is refined by experiment.
3. We make violations fail the build.

Then lather, rinse, repeat for other tools.

Once we have rulesets we agree are worth enforcing, we can look to
Sonar for a pretty way to visualize their results if we like.