On 3/16/2014 12:26 PM, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> Would it be too much administrative @#!* to create an umbrella issue?
> I'd suggest LUCENE-5130 for this purpose, except that I'm not 100%
> positive that failing the build is the right answer.  I fully understand
> the motivation ... it would certainly force us to face the issue!
>
> A bunch of smaller issues could be created to tackle subsections of the
> code, or perhaps to tackle a particular type of warning.  This really
> doesn't change how invasive the patches would be, but if they come in
> smaller chunks, it might be easier to work around them.
>
> When it comes to warnings about things like missing serialVersionUID,
> should we generate a random number for each class, or use a default value?

A further idea:  We could limit this cleanup to trunk.  I foresee three
main effects, none of which seems like a bad thing to me:

* We don't risk breaking the stable branch.
* The cleanup might reveal actual bugs or clearly broken code.
* Backporting gets harder, pushing us closer to the 5.0 release.

Thanks,
Shawn