On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org> wrote:
> While I somewhat agree with both the points of Furkan and Alexandre, I am
> not sure which way you are leaning:

If somebody had time/money/permission, that's what I would do
1. Migrate wiki to an archive area in bulk and freeze - do not delete
2. Mark it as Google non-crawlable in robot.txt
3. Setup proper redirects for the well known old URLs (use Google
analytics, log analytics or common sense to figure it out)
4. Setup Log watch for URLs that used to go to the wiki. As particular
URLs that are hit, review and create stub pages, contact originating
pages to ask to point to new location
5. Do something about JavaDocs polluting Google Index. At minimum,
create /latest/ as a stable URL path and have it very Google visible.
Make the rest of the versions in archive, non-crawlable. There is a
lot more that can be done here, but probably not as part of this
cleanup (see my older post about it)
6. Fix general SEO about highlighting Solr's best new features (NRT,
Cloud, Schema/SchemaLess)
7. Setup proper analytics (is there any?), so we could at least tell
what people find and what they do not.
8. Decide what happens with non-commiters contributions (still not
clear to me). If tips and tricks is the main focus, then perhaps there
should be some dedicated space for it with voting or whatever. Or
delegate that to StackOverflow's communal wiki services, which gives
authentication, voting, gamification, etc. Or even create a separate
SEARCH group on SO with questions spanning all the different Lucene-
and non-Lucene-based offerings. I bet there will be a lot of common
questions on tokenization, etc.

The problem I guess is to figure out what the critical path is. Some
things cannot be done alone or they will hurt the community.  E.g.
freeze the wiki AND give no way to contribute - is not so good.

Regards,
    Alex.

Current project: http://www.solr-start.com/ - Accelerating your Solr proficiency